Saturday 30 November 2019

Not a ...Write-Off! New Book Publication

This column was part of a larger article published in the York Press on Tuesday, November 19th 2019.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/18033538.not-write-off---retirement-not-option-70-rita-leaman/

I have written enough about life not happening as we plan, to know that writing a column in September, to be published in November, about a book being published in October may go pear-shaped. But sometimes risks have to be taken and if this column turns out to be in the book only, so be it. The world will not end. It will also mean that something far more important has occurred in the interim.

What book? What exactly do I hope has happened?  Last month I wrote about setting myself a new challenge and becoming Yorkshire Region President of Soroptimist International of Great Britain and Ireland (SIGBI). It’s not the only challenge I planned and hope to surprise the family at a celebration party on Sunday, October 27th.  I plan to announce that six years of these Mind, Body and Soul columns have been published in a book called, ‘Wise Words’. With support from Maxine Gordon and Stephen Lewis on The Press, York, I have spent part of the summer assembling the columns with encouragement and editing skills of Felicity Davis in Scarborough. It’s
probably how I shall primarily remember the hot August Bank Holiday, 2019. Being naturally enthusiastic and excited, it’s been a tremendous effort to keep the book a surprise from everyone, especially my husband.

In October 2013, I published my first book, ‘Are you Chasing Rainbows?’ A book about emotional maturity. This was daunting and I didn’t have the confidence to write under my real name, in case it was a disaster. I used a pen name, Alison R Russell. It has been a success, garnered good reviews and raised over £2000 for the charity, ChildLine. Maxine Gordon of The Press, York asked me to contribute to some new Family Matters pages and here I still am, nearly six years later. I’ve enjoyed re-reading these columns and reacquainting myself with events, feelings and thoughts.  

Thank you to The Press, York and all the readers.

The book can be bought from Amazon in paperback or on Kindle.
https://amzn.to/34ukHJV

For non Amazon fans, 'Wise Words' can also be bought from me at: AlisonRussell@chasingrainbows.co.uk
 £7.99 plus p&p. £1.50 1st Class. £1.31 2nd Class.


©AlisonRRussell2019  
©RitaLeaman2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.